American Cornice Works (ACW), was founded in 1883 by Fred Buckley and A. E. English in Wichita, Kansas. In 1900, Fred Buckley bought English’s share of the company. The company fabricated sheet metal products in their shop at the corner of First and Water streets in Wichita. Along with sheet metal fabrication the company built a reputation for quality tile and slate roof installations in Wichita and throughout the Midwest. Fred’s two sons, Mert and Roy, joined the business but Roy left the company to pursue other interests.
Following World War II, Mert’s sons, Dwane “Dewey” and Bill joined the family business. Over the years the company expanded its operation to include insulation products, mechanical contracting, roof deck installation along with commercial and industrial roofing. In 1957-58, American Cornice Works was one of several Wichita construction companies chosen to build the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. An office was established in Colorado Springs for the duration of the project and was closed soon after the company completed their contract at the Academy. Early in 1960, the company moved to a new location and changed the name to Buckley Construction Industries.
In 1970, Buckley Construction Industries was divided into three separate companies, Buckley Incorporated, Buckley Industries, and Buckley Roofing Co. Inc. Mert and Dewey owned Buckley Incorporated and Buckley Industries while Bill Buckley took over sole ownership of Buckley Roofing Co Inc. In 1976, Buckley Roofing moved to its current facility at 3601 North Hydraulic.
Eddy “Ed” Frederick was hired as an estimator in 1982. Ed’s background was in sheet metal fabrication where he worked for 7 years at Weidman Metal Masters in Wichita. He worked one year at Cessna Aircraft as a project manager in facilities prior to coming to Buckley
Roofing. Ed learned the business by working both as an estimator in the office and a foreman on the roofs. In 1986, Bill made Ed President of the company and was given the opportunity to purchase a share of the company. In 1997, Ed purchased 100% of the company upon Bill’s retirement. Under Ed’s leadership, many key people were hired over the years that lead to the company’s growth and success.
Buildings like Exploration Place, Intrust Arena, Friends University’s Davis Hall and Wichita State’s Experiental Building are part of the Wichita skyline and reflect on the reputation of Buckley Roofing. Buckley Roofing has won numerous awards with the National Roofing Contractors Association’s Gold Circle Award and achieving Carlisle’s ESP status two of many for which Ed is very proud of.
Ed’s two sons, Evan and Adam have been working for the company for many years and were promoted to Vice-President in 2009 and subscribe to Ed’s philosophy of doing every job the right way. In 2013, Rod Thimesch joined the company as Controller. Rod’s 18 years of experience at Koch Industries brings a fresh look into the business.
Due to our superior work force and capabilities several of our major customers have asked Buckley Roofing to start installing Kalwall high performance translucent building systems for them. The Kalwall projects completed exceeded everyone’s expectations and Buckley is excited about this new addition to the services and products it offers.
The future of Buckley Roofing looks bright.